Tuesday 28 June 2011

Sprouting for Mum



See Mum sprouting is easy!!

This blog on Sprouting is dedicated to Mum, I am very blessed to have such a beautiful, caring, loving Mother who has brought me up in a very healthy, happy home. 
Mum is my role model, I always look to her for guidance and she inspires me everyday! She is 1 of the healthiest people I've met. 
It has been a slow process but Mum has healed her body,whether it be migraines, chronic fatigue, shoulder/neck problems all by changing what she eats.. So many problems we have as a society is all due to what we put in our mouth!!! So Mum finally I can teach YOU something.. !! I expect to have some sprouts when I come home for xmas. Love you xxx




Okey Mum so today we are going to sprout Sunflower Seeds and Wheat Grass.
Remember to buy wheat for sprouting and unhulled sunflower seeds..I buy them via the internet , but Im sure Matamata would have some- maybe try the health shop?
Soak both seeds ( a few tablespoons) over night (12 hours) in water this helps with germinating and the growth.
Next go down to the Warehouse (NZ- where everyone gets a bargain) Find yourself some terracotta trays (bases from terracotta pots) they are under $10.
Find the ones that haven't been glazed. The glazed ones don't absorb the water and seeds can become mouldy and soil ucky!
Grab also some organic potting mix.


Mum you now are ready to put you soil into your trays, drain the water from your seeds, rinse and sprinkle a single layer of seeds over your soil.


Now put another fine sprinkle of potting mix over the seeds this acts as a barrier to help keep the moister in and help the seeds not to dry out. If they become to dry it slows down the sprouting process.
Water your little babies.
I put mine inside, I will move them to the morning sun, give them a water in the morning and wait patiently.
This picture now is the stage mine are at.. so stay tuned for current sprouting updates- Apparently they take 2 days to start sprouting.. see you in 2 days Mum xxxx




(Above photo) As you can see mum they have popped their little heads out of the dirt..exciting isn't it! Its all go from here!!





2 days later after last photo Mum and as you see they are slowly growing, since it is a bit cooler this may hinder their growth, they might be ready in time for Vanessa's. I should start another lot so I have an abundance once we have eaten this lot. But I haven't, we will see how this lot goes 1st :)





Mum the 2 photos above are how they are doing now. The sunflower seeds are growing slow, I'm guessing due to the cold weather and being locked inside our dark house.. Our house doesn't get any sun. Mum the sprouts should be ready in a week, mine are going to take longer. You will know when they are ready. Its great to see you went out and brought your sprouting stuff!! Wahoo :)





Above is 1 week + 2 day old sprouts.
The sunflower seeds are very slow, my friend Peta's sprouts are the same so must have to be the cold weather.
I'm not sure when I will eat the wheat grass. 


Also mum here is an activated almond nut and a normal almond. Once you've had activated you wont go back!



                                                                                    


The activated is a lot more crunchy and lighter! And of course better for your digestion!!
Since I am going away to Vanessa's the updates will be a bit slower :)





They are ready to eat mum!! yummy!
As you can see photo below, Ive already started eating it and now the cut bit has started growing back :)



1 comment:

Peta said...

Go the sprouts! Yay